A series of projects that use Internet API’s for interactive media projects.
Projects have been tested on Max8 and Mac OS Catalina – except where noted. Other dependencies are are listed on individual project pages.
My goal is to show a variety of methods to get data to and from Max. API’s come and go, as do the libraries that support them.
internet-sensors is on Github at: https://github.com/tkzic/internet-sensors
Each project is in a separate folder.
Some projects require passwords and API-keys from providers.
For example, for the ‘Twitter streaming API in Max’ project you’ll need to set up a Twitter application from your account to get authorization credentials.
For projects that need authorization usually you’ll just need to modify the patches/source code with your user information – as directed in the instructions. The API keys embedded in the code will not work unless specifically mentioned, like with the Google speech API.
API’s used in the projects change fairly often. So there’s no guarantee they’ll work. If you find problems or have ideas – please post to them to the github repository. Or email me at [email protected]
1. Twitter streaming API in Max (FM, php, curl, geocoding, [aka.speech], Soundflower (optional), Morse code, OSC, data recorder, Twitter v1.1 API, Twitter Apps, Oauth)
deprecated 2/11/2021 – old project link here: https://reactivemusic.net/?p=5447
New! – use the project above to send tweets from using a Fisher Price “Little Tikes” piano: https://reactivemusic.net/?p=6993
Note: Send Tweets using speech as well.
5. A conversation with a robot in Max (Google speech API, sox, JSON, pandorabots API, python, [aka.speech]
7. Playing bird calls in Max (xeno-canto API, [jit.uldl], [jit.qt.movie])
8. Soundcloud API in Max (node.js)
9. Real time train map using Max and node.js (XML, JSON, OSC, data recorder, web sockets, Irish Rail API)
…updates in progress…
11. Using weather forecast data to drive weather sounds in Pure Data (ruby, OSC, JSON, openweathermap API, “Designing Sound” by Andy Farnell)
… updates in progress…
12. Using ping times to control oscilators in Max (Mashape ping-uin API, ruby, OSC, JSON)
13. Spotify Segment analysis player – sonification of audio analysis data from Spotify (echo nest) API, node, Max/MSP)
14. Quadcopter AR_drone – Fly a quadcopter using Max – with streaming Web video. ( node.js, AR_drone, Google Chrome, Osc, Max/MSP)
deprecated 2/14/2021 – old project link: https://reactivemusic.net/?p=6635
deprecated 2/14/2021 – old project link: https://reactivemusic.net/?p=11412
16. Max data recorder – Record and play back streams of data simultaneously at various rates
17. MBTA bus data in Max – Sonification of Mass Ave buses, from Harvard to Dudley
… updates in progress…