Zombie processes in Max

Shell object artifacts.

Today I set up a subpatcher in Max to launch a ruby server, using [aka.shell]. I didn’t realize it was running, so I ran it again – then Max froze, so I force-quit out of it. This left a zombie process in control of the UDP port.

Later I found this command, which identifies all processes on the machine:

# ps -xo pid,ppid,stat,command

Anyway, its probably not a good idea to run servers from shell commands without a way to kill them.

Here’s a screenshot of the sub-patcher which figures out how to run a shell command in the same folder as the patch:


in tkzic/max teaching examples/